Thursday, July 19, 2012

Say My Name!

Naming your child can cause a lot of ANXIETY.

Automatic Elimination of a name off your list:

You knew someone who was a jerk with the same name
Your friend's already named their kid that name
You have a good friend with the same name
A celebrity was recently arrested for some crazy shenanigans with the same name


A.K.A

This crap is hard!

But, I'm going to share with you what we have on the pipeline. I get it that most people choose not to because they don't want other people to "judge" their choice or give them unsolicited feedback. However we won't change our minds simply if Cousin Fannie says "I hate that name." "Suck it Cousin Fannie! I like it!"

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

1. A unique name. Something that isn't too trendy or weird but something you don't hear every day.
I loved my name growing up. There weren't any other Krista's running around the playground. And, I have only ever met 2 other Krista's in my entire life. However, I researched it and during the 1980s Krista was in the top 25 most popular names. So my theory is to try to stay out of the top 15-20 U.S. names to accomplish this.

2. Going with the above...something that isn't in the top 25 most popular names.
All of the names I have liked since my teens are all SUPER popular now: Sophie (#1 girl name in most countries actually), Chloe (#3) Noah (#2), Aiden (#1), Lucas (#12). Having a lot of bad luck here.

3. Something regal or fancy sounding.
I want our child's name to have some confidence and elegance to it. Mostly because I'm obsessed with European Royal History. But, fun fact there isn't a lot to choose from because those royals recycled names better than a Vegan on Earthday. Something like Victoria (can't use have a friend with that name),  Charlotte (Steve shot down plus is #2 most popular girl's name right now) or Sebastian (Steve also shot down. Boo Steve!).

4. A Name with a GREAT Nickname!
Bonus but not 100% necessary: We'd love to pick a name that is long enough to have a great nickname. I have nicknamed everyone around me my whole life and rarely has anyone EVER tried to shorten Krista...which sucks. I love nicknames. Example: my child already has one: Peanut. :)

Here's our current name list:

Boys Names (we both like the following): 

Rhys (pronounced Reece)
Simon

Neither one has fantastic nickname opportunities so we so have our eyes open for an alternative, but we are happy with the above choices.

Girls names (as stated have been much harder)

Kaylee, we both like this name but I am not 100% sold on it.

Juliette, Steve has shot this down but I am still holding out he might change his mind. Especially since his only reason for shooting this down is because of Juliette Lewis...Um OK.....

Is this why Steve? She knows these corn rows were a mistake....


But, I bet she didn't care...note the Brad Pitt on her arm...

Lisette My new discovery! It is a very old French name and we could nickname her Lissie...so cute. But, alas, Steve has also shot this one down...for the time being.......



The struggle continues.


In the meantime..to ease my pain....some throwback Destiny's Child!




No comments:

Post a Comment