Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Baby Story: Peanut Style!

My apologies for the delay in this post. Those parents out there understand how exhausting the first few days of a newborn's life can be...

I've literally felt like we've been in a baby haze since Peanut was born without any spare time!

Anyways....onto the story of our Peanut..

A Baby Story: Peanut Style!

Due to my pregnancy induced hypertension, my OBGYN scheduled to induce me on Thursday January 17th.

We hoped and prayed that Peanut would decide to come naturally before then, but alas Peanut wanted to make an entrance....a LONG entrance!

We checked into the hospital at 6:00am on 1/17. Steve and my Mom were there to support me in labor. The nurses started the pitocin to get my labor going at about 8:00am.

I made it about 5 hours until my contractions started to become unmanageable. I was able to deal with the pain when they were spaced out by a few minutes, but at about 1-2pm they were right on top of each other and then my blood pressure began to sky rocket. Then the Doctor started to strongly suggest I consider an epidural for the pain relief and to get my blood pressure down.

I didn't want to do an epidural, so this news was a bit sad for me, but the pain wasn't something I could endure (or anyone I can think of lol) and so I felt like the decision was sort of made for me by...the damn pitocin!

Before I forget...

Dear Pitocin,

I hate you. You make contractions EVIL you stupid stupid STUPID drug!!

Please consider yourself de-friended,

Love,

Krista

I was really scared and sad as I could not lean on my Mom or Steve for support when they inserted the catheter for the epidural as it has to be a sterile environment. But, I was able to sit super still (despite the horrible contraction pain) and the procedure went very smoothly and was pretty pain free.

In about 20 minutes I got some wonderful pain relief and uttered the phrase: 

"Epidurals are wonderful! Everyone should get these!"

"I LOVE you guys"

Drugs. LOL

Then....

The fun began...

Waiting...

Waiting....

"Oh my Gawd I'm soooo hungry"

"Oh I can have chicken broth and jello and icees? This isn't bad, I actually fell kinda full"

One hour goes by...

"Steve can I please have some more chicken broth and jello?"

Half hour goes by

"Can I have an icee and some jello?"

Ten minutes goes by

"STEVE! Please put your book down! I need some more chicken broth and jello!"

"This is freakin stupid at this point I don't feel full at all!"

Hallucinations begin of dancing cheeseburgers...seriously.

"I see brownies when I close my eyes!"

Epidural medication increase.

30 minute relief

Epidural medication increase

30 minute relief

"Whoa crap gonna be sick"

I FREAKIN HATE CHICKEN BROTH AND JELLO!


This pattern went on for awhile until all of a sudden I was in labor for 21 hours. At about 3:00am on Friday January 18th sometime after I got sick I started to cry and said: "I can't do this" and was thinking in my head that I may have to ask for a C-section.

Then...

10 centimeters dialated

But, at Fairview Hosptial they make you wait until you are +1 which has something to do with where the baby is located in the birth canal...

My rookie nurse who hasn't been there long kept saying even though I was 10 cm it wasn't time to push because of this +1 stuff.

But, then she thought why don't I try to push to see if that will speed things up.

I did a few pushes.

Weird. They felt...good!?

I mean I still felt pain because the epidural doesn't numb the Peanut Exitway area, but mostly I felt SWEET SWEET RELIEF when I pushed because it relieved the pressure I was feeling!

It made me feel better enough to sing a few bars of "Under Pressure by Queen" (BTW thanks to nurse Val for humoring me....I think I'm more hiliarious than I probably actually am lol)

The worst part about the pushing was my gargling stomache that was starving and full of acid from not having food for 20 hours and upset from the epidural medications. It was incredibly distracting during the pushing.

But, Steve and my Mom  saw Peanut's head...

Then another non-rookie nurse came in and said "Hey we can see Peanut's head! That means she's ready!"

Crap. Someone page the Doctor!

My Doc comes in and takes one look at Peanut's Exitway and sees Peanut's head and says: "Oh crap I better take my coat off NOW!"

Doc says "Ok Krista you ready?"

Time to Push for Realzees

I feel bad by saying this for other Moms out there who have had a different expereince, but the pushing was the best part for me.

I pushed for about 30-40 mintues and if it wasn't for my horrendous gurgling stomache I could have gotten Peanut out faster.

Drumroll Please.......

It's a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



My Peanut predictor instict of thinking she was a boy was completely off!

But who freakin cares!

Look how beautiful she is!!!



I look over at Steve and he is crying and says "Her name is Juliet. It's Juliet!"



"Ok. Hello Juliet" I say and um of course I cry.








Welcome to the world Juliet Patricia Anne Beyer!!!

Born on Friday January 18th
4:39am
7lbs 1oz
18 inches

We love you so very much our Peanut!!!

More posts to come!







No comments:

Post a Comment