Sunday, October 7, 2012

Project: Peanut's Dresser

I've been wishing I had more time to refurbish furniture every since I discovered there is an easy inexpensive way how via these instructions:

All Things Thrifty Painting Furniture 101 and All Things Thrifty Glazing Furniture 101

I absolutely love that blog and if you are into crafting or creative-amAHzing-ness you should check it out too.

Anyways...I digress...

(Just love the word "digress" because I feel all fancy and "smart-like" when I use it) LOL

Inspired by All Things Thrifty, I first refurbished a coffee table as a "Happy Graduation from Law School" gift for my dear buddy Sarah.

Sarah's Coffee Table:
Before:


After:


Then, when I found out I was preggeroni, I knew that I wanted to find a dresser and flip it for my Peanut.

We found this dresser at a garage sale in May for only.........wait for it.............$35!!!


That price is Amaze. Balls.

If you add up the cost of the painting supplies that is only another $18, so the total cost of the dresser is $53. BOO...to...the...YOW!

How it's done:

(Steve did all the spray painting this time. As a good Daddy he didn't want me or Peanut inhaling the fumes)

1. Clean and Wash the dresser and remove the handles. My least favorite part. Cleaning=Lame. Sorry Mom! ;)


2. The dresser we purchased had some gunk that we think was glue or um we didn't want to know...on the surface. So, Steve and his awesome Momma, Grandma Beyer power sanded the top of the dresser. However this took the finish off and I learned that if you don't have a finish on part of piece of furniture it will look matte even under the spray paint so then we painted 2 coats of Polyurethane glaze on it. The glaze left a few rough areas so when it was dry, Steve lightly sanded it with 320 grit very fine sand paper. It made the dresser top very smooth and didn't take the glaze off.

3.  Then Steve primed the dresser with KILZ All Purpose Primer.



4. Then Steve spray painted the dresser with Krylon Gloss Ivory Spray Paint. We used 4 cans of spray paint as this dresser is very large. Dresser Dimensions: 71" x 31"x 18"





5. I glazed the dresser with Valspar Antiquing Glaze. You can find this little gem at Lowes for about $7. I have used one small bottle for 3 projects already and I still have enough left for one more project I think.




6. Steve spray painted the handles and knobs with Rustoleum Hammered Black Multi Purpose Spray.




7. To protect the surface and finish the project, Steve sprayed the dresser with Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Gloss Spray. This step is optional, but recommended if the surface gets a lot of wear and tear like a dining room table or dresser top or coffee table etc.

8. Place handles on and Voila she is done!






Here are some shots of the dresser in Peanut's Room. Peanut's Room is very small but the dresser is absolutely perfect for the space and has all the storage we need:





No comments:

Post a Comment